Thursday, October 9, 2008

Forming a New Plan

The last few days, Esther has made some progress in feeding (she actually took in over 40 cc's on two difference occasions, and that's real progress!), but hasn't made any progress as far as oxygen needs.  The new pediatrician starting today is working to figure out why Esther isn't making better progress.

They did more chest exrays today, and her lungs looked a little "wet" but not like she had pneumonia or anything - but something is causing this.  So then they did another Echo-Cardiogram live with a cardiologist at Children's Hospital, but again they determined that her oxygen needs are not caused by the hole in her heart, that everything looked OK there.

Tomorrow morning, they are going to start a temporary IV in order to give her Lasix (a diarhetic) to see if that will clear out the wetness in her lungs and any possible fluid that might be around her heart and lungs.

Tomorrow afternoon, we are going to have a meeting with the pediatrician, the nurses, the  nutritionist, and the social worker to see if they can formulate a plan that will lead to Esther going home sooner rather than later.  Daryl will be able to be at the meeting as well, so I'm praying this will be a turning point for Esther as far as unified care and everyone working towards getting us home.

I was able to go home for most of last evening, and really enjoyed a good long soak in the tub.  Returning to the hospital was so hard though - there was so much I really needed to help with at home, I wanted to tuck the little ones in bed, but needed to leave too early, and yet it was so hard on me to leave Esther.  I'm really torn!  On the way to the hospital I was listening to the radio and the song "Praise you in this Storm" (by Casting Crowns) was playing - wow, that is so where I was last night, or where I should be!  Here' are the lyrics (and a link  to listen at the end):

"Praise You In This Storm"

I was sure by now
God You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to you
And you raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You

But as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth  


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHdcyue0bSw

Current prayer needs - strengthening of Esther's lungs and her ability to feed more and more from the bottle, a good meeting with all her care providers, that she'll respond well to the Lasix and that the IV placement will go well.  That I will continue to rest on God's promises and see Him moving in this time, and that I can keep up my milk supply (it's been down the last two days).

Thanks to all of you for your prayers, and special thanks to Rhonda P, Jennifer J, and Rhonda Z for taking kids - it helps out at home so much!  Thanks also to my Uncle Vern and Aunt Marilyn for being so willing to have me stay overnight on a very irregular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment